Are you looking for a delicious and nutritious way to improve your health? Look no further than the tart cherry! Not only do these tiny fruits pack a punch of flavor, but they also offer a multitude of health benefits. In this article, we’ll explore some of the fantastic benefits of tart cherries and why you should consider adding them to your diet.
First and foremost, tart cherries are loaded with antioxidants. Antioxidants are compounds that protect your cells from damage caused by harmful molecules known as free radicals. Free radicals can cause oxidative stress, which can lead to a variety of health problems, including cancer, heart disease, and Alzheimer’s disease. Luckily, tart cherries are rich in polyphenols, a type of antioxidant that can help fight oxidative stress and inflammation.
In addition to their antioxidant properties, tart cherries may also help improve sleep quality. Studies have shown that tart cherry juice can increase melatonin levels in the body, a hormone that regulates sleep-wake cycles. One study found that drinking tart cherry juice twice a day for two weeks improved sleep quality and duration in older adults with insomnia.
But that’s not all – tart cherries may also have anti-inflammatory properties, which can help reduce muscle soreness and speed up recovery after exercise. In fact, a study found that consuming tart cherry juice before and after a marathon helped reduce muscle damage and inflammation in runners.
And let’s not forget about the potential benefits of tart cherries for heart health. One study found that drinking tart cherry juice daily for four weeks improved markers of heart health, including blood pressure and cholesterol levels. Another study found that consuming tart cherries for eight weeks reduced levels of C-reactive protein, a marker of inflammation that’s linked to an increased risk of heart disease.
So, how can you add tart cherries to your diet? One option is to drink tart cherry juice, but keep in mind that many brands of tart cherry juice contain added sugar, so be sure to read the label. Another option is to eat dried tart cherries as a snack or add them to your favorite trail mix or oatmeal. And for those on-the-go or who just don’t enjoy the taste of tart cherry, NutraChamps offers tart cherry gummies and capsules that provide plenty of excellent benefits.
Tart cherries are a delicious and nutritious fruit that offer a variety of health benefits. From their antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties to their potential to improve sleep and heart health, there are plenty of reasons to add tart cherries to your diet.
- Bell PG, Walshe IH, Davison GW, et al. Montmorency cherries reduce the oxidative stress and inflammatory responses to repeated days high-intensity stochastic cycling. Nutrients. 2014;6(2):829-843.
- Losso JN, Finley JW, Karki N, et al. Pilot study of the Tart Cherry Juice for the treatment of Insomnia and Investigation of Mechanisms. American Journal of Therapeutics. 2018;25(2):e194-e201.
- Martin KR, Bopp J, Burrell L, et al. The effect of 100% tart cherry juice on serum uric acid levels, biomarkers of inflammation and cardiovascular disease risk factors. Journal of Functional Foods. 2011;3(4):249-258.
- Trail Mix. Recipe from the USDA. Accessed April 20, 2023. https://www.choosemyplate.gov/recipes/supplemental-nutrition-assistance-program-snap/trail-mix
- Tart Cherry Capsules. NutraChamps. Accessed April 20, 2023. https://nutr
Leave a Comment:
Leave a Comment: