Movember stands for something more than just growing out a mustache. After doing my research into the cause itself I have come to find some shocking statistics about how and why it all got started. Any time November would roll around I would always wonder what the point of men growing a mustache actually was. It wasn’t until I asked questions and did my own research that I was able to discover the purpose of it all.
Movember is a leading charity for men’s health. They stand for three very important aspects of men’s health. Mental health and suicide prevention, prostate cancer, and testicular cancer. After one of my very close friend’s was diagnosed with testicular cancer in his early 20’s my eyes were opened to the importance of overall health awareness. When I dove deeper into Movember’s purpose I became moved by what they have been able to impact and create thus far.
Movemeber ultimately stands for one main goal, their website states:
“By 2030, we aim to reduce the number of men dying prematurely by 25%”
They’re taking on all three aspects of men’s health that I mentioned earlier, and since 2003 they have successfully funded 1250 men’s projects around the world. Here’s an incredible video that showcases just some of the projects that have been made possible thanks to the Movember organization:
I also wanted to provide you with some pretty shocking men’s health statistics, and the reason why Movember feels so strongly about what they do.
- The world loses a man to suicide every minute of the day
- About 1 in 8 men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer in his lifetime.
- Testicular cancer strikes early, it’s the most common cancer in young Canadian men.
When it comes to men’s health, there’s often a stigma around men feeling like they can come forward and talk openly and vulnerably about their mental health. Movember takes a look at mental health through a man’s lens. Their goal is to work towards a world where men take action to be mentally well and feel supported by those around them. Some of the ways they are tackling the stigma around men’s mental health is with education, conversations that matter, funding related projects, and advocating for better services.
One thing that I personally love about the Movember website and charity is how transparent they are about where their money directly goes. There’s actually a section on their website which is dedicated to breaking down where funds are distributed. 85.2% of their funds raised go straight to men’s health projects! This is a large number when you take into account the other fees such as fundraising costs, administration costs, and retained funds.
There are multiple ways you can be a part of the Movember movement or contribute. Some of these initiatives include:
- “Growing a MO” This is the most common way that men around the world have been standing for Movember, by growing at a mustache for the month of November. You can actually sign up on Movember’s website and create your own donation page to share with family and friends for the cause. All proceeds will go towards Movember, which in turn will go towards men’s health projects.
- Move for Movember: Don’t feel like growing out the stache this year but still want to do your part and contribute? You can also move! Movember encourages running or walking 60km over the course of a month. The 60 km stands for the 60 men we lose to suicide every hour, across the world. What’s cool about this is that you can actually connect your fitness app to your personal fundraising page! This will track your movement throughout November.
- Hosting a Mo-Ment: Looking to get some people together for a great cause? Whether it be virtually or in person you can host a “mo-ment” in honor of Movember. You can sign up and create a donation page on the movember website. After doing so you will be able to think of something you love doing such as gaming, cooking, or virtual trivia, invite your friends and then collect donations! This is a great way to create community, one that becomes more aware of men’s health and giving back.
- Mo Your Own way: Movember promotes the concept of “mo your own way” which basically means you can raise money for the cause in creative and unique ways that are fun for you! Set a goal for yourself such as taking one cold shower everyday, or kicking a bad habit. Promote your donation page and let your friends, family, and peers know what you’re up to!
To conclude, growing out a mustache in November might seem like a fun challenge, but in reality, this act represents so much more than just a distinguished physical appearance. Movember has formed a community and touched the lives of so many men, and women around the world. Since it got started back in 2003, so many men have felt more comfortable with sharing their personal health stories and reaching out for support. I think about the men in my life and only hope that they feel more and more comfortable opening up to talk about things that aren’t always easy to discuss. We must keep this important conversation going and get behind more and more projects that are making a difference.
NutraChamps stands for men’s health and Movember!
To learn more about Movember and donate, you can visit their website www.movember.com!