It’s getting hot out here! Depending on where you’re geographically located during these summer seasons, temperatures can reach a high, leaving you feeling scorched! Although the summertime provides plenty of opportunities to enjoy beach days and outdoor activities, it’s super important to stay hydrated.
Why is hydration important? Well, because we are made up of water! As we sweat more in the summertime, we need to replenish our bodies with fluids. Adequate hydration supports so many different functions within us, from regulating our temperature to delivering nutrients to our cells.
Although drinking water is the most important thing you can do to stay hydrated, there are also plenty of water based vegetables and fruits that are not only tasty, but super hydrating as well.
In this article we’re going to list some of our favorite produce for summertime hydration!
The Most Hydrating Fruits
- Watermelon: It’s no surprise that this fruit makes the top of our list because it contains the word “water” in it! Watermelon is made up of a whopping 92% of water, so eating this fruit you really can’t go wrong. Watermelon also contains antioxidants, and is high in potassium. Potassium can even help to alleviate cramps after a workout!
- Tomato: Although many of us would consider tomato a vegetable based on how we use it, it certainly is a fruit. You might be surprised to know that tomatoes are made up of 95% water. They’re also a great source of Vitamin A which is great for the skin, eyes, and immune system.
- Strawberries: Good news! These delicious and versatile berries are packed with water and nutrients. They’re made up of 92% water in total and they’re a Vitamin C superstar! You may think oranges are in the lead for Vitamin C but it’s actually strawberries.
- Grapefruit: This tasty citrus fruit is super hydrating and also quite high in Vitamin C. Made up of 91% water and 100% of your daily requirement for Vitamin C intake. Due to its high Vitamin C content it’s fantastic for skin health!
- Peaches and plums: Juicy and delicious, peaces and plums are the perfect afternoon snack and filled with hydration. They both contain almost 90% water and they’re an excellent source of Vitamin A, C, fiber, and potassium.
The Most Hydrating Vegetables
- Cucumbers: Out of any solid food we consume, cucumbers contain the most water, 96% to be exact! Cucumbers are also very low in calories and contain vitamin K, B, C, copper, phosphorus, potassium, and magnesium.
- Iceberg lettuce: Raw lettuce is another fantastic way to stay hydrated! It’s also made up of about 96% water and contains Vitamin A and Folate.
- Celery: Anti-inflammatory and antioxidant rich, we really can’t go wrong with celery! It contains 95% water and is also stacked with Vitamins A, K, C, and potassium.
- Asparagus: Delicious eaten raw, grilled, or steamed, asparagus is made up of 92% water and tastes incredible. Another fantastic summer food!
These are just some of the amazingly hydrating foods that exist and will keep you feeling great and energized all summer long. Many people get bored of drinking plain water to meet their hydration needs, that’s why incorporating these foods throughout the day is such a good idea! Stay safe this summer everyone!